A Breast Lift, or Auto-Augmentation Breast Lift, is a surgical procedure to lift the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR a breast lift?
Patients who are good candidates for a lift procedure feel that their breasts are droopy and wish that they were perkier. A lift helps remove extra skin and breast tissue. Patients who want even more volume or more fullness at the top of the breast may need a breast implant or augmentation in addition to a lift — this is called an augmentation mastopexy.
If patients are looking for just a small improvement in volume and are not interested in a breast implant, a technique called auto-augmentation (where you use your own breast tissue to add volume) may be an option. Dr. Kottwitz can help guide you on the best treatment options at your consultation.
- About the Procedure: There are different types of breast lifts depending on how much skin and tissue need to be removed to lift the breast. Usually, there is an incision around the nipple areolar complex and vertically down the breast. Sometimes the incision extends underneath the breast. Extra tissue is removed at the bottom of the breast so the breast feels less heavy. The procedure is considered an outpatient procedure, and you will go home the same day.
- After the Procedure: After surgery, patients go home the same day. Most patients feel that they can return to work 1 to 2 weeks after the procedure. You will be taught how to clean and care for the incisions at home. A sports bra without underwire is worn 24 hours a day for 4-6 weeks to help support the breasts as they heal. Exercise can be restarted after 6 weeks.
WHAT CAN A BREAST LIFT ADDRESS?
Breast lift surgery with or without implants can address a number of common concerns regarding breast appearance, including breast sagging and aesthetic issues involving the nipples or areola. During your initial consultation, Dr. Kottwitz will discuss your desired look to help you decide on a suitable approach and determine your surgical goals, which may include some of the following benefits of a lift procedure:
- Restore sagging breast tissue to a more pleasing position
- Remove loose, excess skin
- Reshape and tighten the breast tissue
- Improve the firmness of the breasts
- Correct asymmetry in the breasts or nipples
- Improve body proportions
- Reposition the nipples and areola
- Reduce the size of the areola
- Eliminate skin irritation due to sagging breasts
- Improve your self-esteem and body image
It is important to note that lift surgery on its own does not increase the size, volume or fullness of the breasts. If your surgical goals also include increasing your breast size or correcting volume loss, our plastic surgeons may recommend having a breast augmentation performed in conjunction with your lift procedure. In most cases, this can be done without the need for additional incisions and won’t impact the overall recovery time after the procedure.
Meet our BREAST LIFT expert
Dr. Kate Kottwitz
If you are unhappy with the aesthetics of your breasts due to sagging skin and loss of breast volume and are considering a lift procedure, contact Gateway Cosmetics to schedule a comprehensive consultation.
Dr. Kottwitz is dedicated to providing patients with safe, personalized and professional care, and has the training and experience needed to produce beautiful aesthetic results.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Our focus is not on changing the core aesthetic components of our patients, but rather on using cosmetic enhancement procedures to help them become the absolute best that they can be.
Dr. Kottwitz believes in the importance of having well-informed patients and will take the time to explain all of your mastopexy options and procedural details so that you feel completely comfortable about your surgery. Schedule your consultation today.